breaking news

Tuesday 6 November 2012

day fifty-eight and Ron makes soup


“Just go to the left and follow the path. You’ll be there in a few minutes. Just follow the recipe!” called Mars Boulder as Ron ran out of the cave-room.
A few mountain goats, who were hanging around on the path outside Mars Boulder’s cave, scattered as Ron raced down to the Soup Shack. He got there in five minutes with a combination of running, sliding and jumping.
When he got there, the spiders had already made a start and had somehow got two large pans of water on the stove, added stock and chopped up some vegetables.
“Yes, it was a challenge which took all of my engineering knowhow and expertise, but we did it!” said Sir Wellington Moonboots, proudly, running up and down the handle of a wooden spoon which was in the soup. “Nearly boiling!” 
“Great!” said Ron.
The humming of the airship’s engine got louder and louder and then stopped, as it parked on the ledge outside the Soup Shack. All the crew and passengers, including Benny, disembarked and filed in.
“Smells good!” Benny said as he entered the kitchen to lend a hand. 
“I spoke to the Emperor,” he said to Ron, “.. and my hunch was right. Now that S.M.I.R.K. has been thwarted I’m no longer needed in the Imperial Kitchen. The old chef is taking over again today. So, I’m looking forward to getting back to my mountain policebirdforce duties.” Benny, put his apron on. “And I’ve missed this place.”
“That’s good!,” said Ron. “I think I’d better take the spiders back home. After that Fred and I will be making our way back home too. We’ll all get on the airship after lunch.”
“I see. Well, it’s been great! Come back again if you get bored!” said Benny. “Now, let’s serve this soup!”
When all the crew and passengers had been served their soup, Ron said to Benny, “Oh, by the way, I met Mars Boulder!”
Benny looked a little taken aback. “You met..? Did you? What did he say?”
“He asked me where I was from and things like that. And I told him everything that has happened since I arrived in the Chilly Peaks,” said Ron.
“Oh, that’s good. He’s a funny old birdman. I must drop in and say hello!” said Benny.
“Can I have a coffee to take away, Ron?” said Capt. Peters Cookie.
Ron felt honoured to be asked personally. And of course, he knew this was the signal for the passengers to return to the airship.
“Yes, coming right up!” said Ron.

© David Severn 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment